What is GreedFall about? We don’t know that much yet, but it appears to be a classical theme of industrialist colonists meet native folk. It would be too soon to judge who’ll be good and who’ll be evil but fortunately, you’ll be able to make your own decisions in the game. It’s a fresh IP, and it looks exciting on a first glance.
What do we know about GreedFall?
GreedFall is being developed by the Spiders studio (The Technomancer) and will be published by Focus Home Interactive. The overall feeling of the game is as if you put a mix of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and Vampyr (also published by from Focus Home Interactive) into a made-up colonial setting in a baroque 17th-century island called Teer Fradee.
The key art already suggests that your gear could consist both of swords, rifles, and pistols. Some concept art drawings also indicate that there will be a light, medium, and heavy type of armor. I could however not spot anything that would point towards a steampunk-esque setting, just in case you were wondering. It’s also not yet clear if you will be able to create your own character or if you’re stuck with the pre-made protagonist called De Sardet. The only thing we know is that this character can either be male or female.
Based on what we saw in the cinematic story trailer, it appears that the protagonist is amongst a group of people fleeing from a plague to find a cure. They set sails and try to make for new regions of the world. Upon arriving on a “newly” discovered island you can either decide to side with the native people, the Teer Fradean, or join forces with one of the three foreign nations, or support one of the two guilds who arrived there to colonize this land.
Info about the factions
The following details on the various factions that appear in GreedFall have been quoted from the official “lexicon” of the game.
- The Congregation of Merchants: A trading Nation ruled by prince merchants. They use their vast riches to gather power and increase their wealth.
- The Bridge Alliance: Always seeking to learn more about the world and those around them, this nation believes science can explain everything and knowledge is power.
- The Coin Guard: The main guild of mercenaries on the old continent. Military companies, bodyguards, paid assassins, combat instructors… they are hired by all the nations and important persons for their combat skills.
- Thélème: A nation where magic users represent both religious and political power. Their mission is to preach the good word and convert the Islanders to their monotheist religion.
- The Nauts: The only guild of navigators that can cross the high sea. They prosper thanks to their travels, helping other factions to cross the waves.
- Islanders/Teer Fradean (Yecht Fradí in native language): They are native to the island of Teer Fradee. They are not a united faction, but all of them live in harmony with Nature, which they consider sacred. Some of them seem to have an even deeper, physical link to their environment, able to use elemental magic or to call
Politics and diplomatic dynamics
From the looks of everything, GreedFall tries to combine RPG elements, and fantasy storytelling with stealth gameplay and a non-linear story progression wherein every decision can cause significant diplomatic effects. But will the combats will be mere slaughter? No, the native folks wield powerful magic and can summon beasts to fight with them. That might mean that character progression and skilling abilities might be depending on the faction(s) you are fighting for.
The title of the game points towards a precise meaning and a little bit of a moral lecture. All in all, it seems exciting and I can’t wait to get my hands on it. It’s currently planned to be released sometime in 2019 and will be available for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One with a PEGI 16 rating and hopefully with a fully functional open-world and not just isolated sceneries.
YouTube: [E3 2018] GreedFall – E3 Trailer
Photo credit: All images used are owned by Spiders / Focus Home Interactive and were provided for press use.
Source: Press material provided b Focus Home Interactive / GreedFall website
Editorial notice: The information about the factions has been copied out of the game’s info sheet (“lexicon”).