Eco Wave Power is a technological innovation that can generate clean and affordable electricity utilizing the powerful waves of the oceans and seas. The waves are attached to a well-designed structure that is easy to install and maintain. The structure comprises floaters that are submerged in the ocean or sea from the piers and jetties.
Eco Wave Power uses this floater through buoyancy force that changes the level in the water and flow by creating the “airlock” effect. It is paired with the vertical movement of the waves that creates an efficient energy conversion process.
Harnessing the power of waves
Eco Wave Power works through a human-made structure that connects to the grid and waves energy array. The floaters draw energy from the incoming wave that converts the rising and falling motion of the waves to intensify the process of clean energy generation. The floaters compress and decompress their movement by the pressure of hydraulic pistons to transmit bio-degradable hydraulic fluid into land-located accumulators.
The accumulators help to build the pressure so that the pressure can rotate the hydraulic motor to amplify the generator. With this, the electricity will be transmitted towards the grid using an inverter.
Once the decompression is done, the fluid will flow back to the hydraulic fluid tank, and the pistons will be re-used for creating a closed circular system. The production of electricity from the wave must be 0.5 meters high for the system commenced production.
The entire operating system is controlled and monitored by a smart automation system. When the waves are too high, the system will handle floaters automatically to rise above the water level and stay in the upward position until the storm passes. As soon as the wave gets back to normal, the floaters return to their usual operation mode.
Founded in Tel Aviv, Israel, back in 2011, Eco Wave Power is a Swedish company that has been developed and patented as a smart and cost-effective technology that turns ocean and sea waves into green electricity. The company is a pioneer in its sector to own and operate a wave energy array that connects to the grid following a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA).
The innovative technology of EWP has been widely recognized as a “Pioneering Technology” by the Chief Scientist of the Energy Ministry of Israel. It has also received a label of Efficient Solution from the Solar Impulse Foundation. The company has also won the United Nations “Global Climate Action” Award and acquired grants from ERDF, Horizon 2020, and the Energy Ministry of Israel.
What makes it effective
The company is inspired by the technologies that revolutionize energy production. The goal of Eco Wave Power is to change energy production and make it more renewable that leading to a complete transformation of various crucial parts of society by providing all the facilities of electricity. This is a highly effective solution because:
- It is easy to build and operate inaccessible locations on land. It has low-cost maintenance and connection to the grid. It helps to maintain the proximity of connection points to the grid.
- It is completely modular and scalable.
- It is a cost-efficient and reliable technology for its construction. The construction and production cost per KWh is quite competitive. The forecasted Levelized cost for energy (LCOE) in commercial-scale installation is around EUR 42 per MWh (SEK 0.45/KWh).
- It is entirely insurable and gives current damage protection coverage provided by globally reputable insurance companies.
- It has no adverse impact on the environment as the system is connected by the existence of artificial structures. The structure is connected through pier, jetties, and breakwaters that keep the environment clean and create a reliable source of clean electricity.
The Eco Wave Power system is an effective and efficient way of energy production for the communities that have lack heavy energy requirements. The regions that don’t have a cumbersome system may find it operative enough to further offshore. The capital expenditure will be reduced to around USD 1million per Megawatt installed.
YouTube: Eco Wave Power Profiled on The Sustainable Markets Initiative by Prince Charles
Photo credit: The images used are owned by Eco Wave Power and have been provided for press usage.